Monday, May 21, 2012

Don't Give Up! and Talking Hike for Heros!

It's Monday, how did you fair over the weekend?  Did you have a slip up?  If so, don't think it's all over!  Today starts a new week, which means a new day to get it right.  Pick yourself up and quit hating yourself for a slip up.  Quit telling yourself, it's just no use.  Because you know what?  THAT'S NOT TRUE!  Start over today!  Get in that workout, eat clean, drink lots of water!  Keep trying!  DON'T GIVE UP!  You are so worth NOT GIVING UP ON!  Yes, I said, YOU ARE WORTH IT!  If you feel you can't go any further, take a quick break and go again!  You can do it!

As you all know, last weekend, I did an accidental 8 mile hike with my daughter and boy was it tough!  Well, this weekend, I pushed myself even further by setting a goal to walk 10 miles for the Hike for Heros walk.  I chose a flat path because I knew that I wanted milage (that was the main goal for the walk,run,hike,bike). Well, half way through my first round, my back started killing me!  Yep, I have a really bad back.  I wanted to stop right then and there because every step I took hurt! I was really close to stopping, but then I started thinking about all of our military personnel and all of the worries they go through and I just couldn't stop, plus I needed that cardio.  I pushed myself to get through that first round.  During our first bout around the lake, I saw where they had these tandem bikes for rent, and I was like OH, well, I could rent one of those to ease my back.  Then I felt like a wimp, and kept going, pushing myself.  This is a walk and this is what I promised my donors I would do.  I did not give up on myself!  I didn't want to let my Heros down!  I continued to push through the second round, taking small breaks as needed (for my back only).  This gave me the little strength I needed to continue the steps. However, during round 2, I did rent the bike.  For a little bit, I felt defeated.  I felt like I let a lot of people down, but when I got on that bike, I got a whole NEW workout! I LOVED IT!  And because I was still getting a workout in, I felt better and undefeated.  My husband on the other hand hated it! :)  We did our last round on that bike and finished up the last mile walking (the rental place was NOT by our starting line).  I couldn't and DIDN'T give up on myself completely, I just needed to find another way, that was safe for my back. Sure, if that pain wouldn't have gotten so bad, I would have completed 11 miles of walking (which is the farthest I have gone during any workout!).  In the past, it would have been so easy for me to just give up, but instead of giving up, I found another way to keep moving and adding those miles up.  The biggest point here is this.  I DIDN'T GIVE UP ON ME, and you shouldn't give up on YOU!  Give yourself more credit for how far you have come.  Maybe you can't do 11 miles just yet, but don't let that keep you from getting out for a walk or a run.  Remember, every little thing you do to stay active means you are lapping someone who is sitting on the couch doing nothing about their health.  This is a decision you made for YOUR HEALTH, DON'T GIVE UP! You are farther in this than what you think!
Here is a little collage of pics from the walk.


Peace, Love, and Sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment